Pechersk School International (PSI) Seeks a Secondary Principal to Commence August, 2020
The community of Pechersk School International is excited to invite applications for an outstanding opportunity to lead its secondary school!
Who are we?
Pechersk School International is a community where we all belong. Situated in a leafy area of the beautiful and historic city of Kyiv, our school is an IB World School with a strong history of providing an international education to our students in a safe, multi-cultural and holistic environment. Since 2000, we are the only school in Ukraine to offer the IB PYP, MYP & DP from Early Childhood to Grade 12. We are honoured to educate approximately 490 students from more than 46 countries. Students and families quickly feel at home and thrive in our motivating, challenging, inspiring and safe learning environment.
The positive and warm atmosphere at PSI is fostered by a dedicated collaboration between students, parents, teachers and staff who work together to maintain an innovative space for independent lifelong learning.
PSI is the only school in Ukraine to hold dual international school accreditation with the Council of International Schools (CIS) in Europe and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) in the United States. This means that we must maintain the highest possible international standards for teaching and learning, as well as for the facilities, extracurricular activities and the environment that makes us so special.
Who are we Looking for?
We aren't looking for just anyone...we are looking for someone very special. Our new Secondary School Principal will be empathetic and caring and will understand that the student is at the centre of everything that we do. They will inspire our whole community, as a leader and as a colleague, and champion others to be the best that they can be. They will have an open door and enjoy chatting with students in the corridors as much as interacting enthusiastically with parents. They will be someone who can see the funny side of life, and who will bring a positive energy to everything they do. They will enjoy and engage with our diverse community, value relationships and demonstrate appreciation for our students, staff and parents. We are looking for a proactive team player with a passionate and optimistic outlook. Someone who can keep smiling when there are setbacks and continue to move forward. Someone who challenges the status quo respectfully, sensitively and effectively. Someone who presumes positive intentions and builds trust. Recognising our responsibilities as global citizens, they will be a role model for others, taking principled action in the community and beyond. If you possess these qualities, PSI just might be the right school for you!
○ Minimum of a Master's Degree in Educational Leadership or Master's Degree with additional qualifications in administration / leadership
○ Administrative experience and leadership endorsement
Preferred experience and skills
● 3-4 years leadership experience in an international school setting
● Experience in leading and delivering the IB Middle Years and Diploma Programmes
● Commitment to inclusion and experience working with a diverse student group in terms of culture and ability level
● Interest in, and experience with, coaching, mentoring and developing a culture of thinking
● Significant experience with recruiting inquiry-driven, collaborative and community focused teachers
● Technologically literate and forward-thinking
● Experience in curriculum and assessment development
● Experience leading and managing change
● Proven ability to manage school resources, including budget
In discussion with the school community, the following were identified as key characteristics of the person we are seeking:
● Innovative and open to new ideas
● Thoughtful and effective communicator
● Flexible and calm in the face of challenge
● Collaborative, supportive and eager to work with all members of the school community
● Trustworthy, with a strong sense of integrity and fairness
● Reflective, decisive and a strategic thinker
● Approachable, with the ability to build strong connections with others
PSI's Strategic Direction and Areas of Growth
In discussion with the school community, the following were identified as key directions and areas for growth for the incoming Secondary School Principal:
● Lead a rich and balanced learning programme that provides meaningful opportunities for personal growth for all secondary school students
● Support and guide staff in developing pathways that support diverse learners and their aspirations through varied approaches and programmes
● Promote the school's core values to nurture a culture of mutual respect and responsibility
● Foster the personal, social and emotional well-being of all students, faculty and staff
● Cultivate inquiry-driven, independent and responsible global citizens
● Ensure student advocacy, student voice and leadership opportunities are integral to the school culture
● Advocate for the school's continued progress towards environmental sustainability
● Encourage service learning and opportunities for meaningful engagement with the wider community
● Strengthen further the school's culture of professional growth and collaboration
The Secondary School Principal will be a member of the PSI Educational Leadership Team along with the School Director, Primary School Principal, the Director of Learning, the IB Coordinators, the Director of Technology, the Athletics Director and the Business Manager. The Principal reports to the School Director.
Shortlisted candidates will be provided with a full job description.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include housing, comprehensive health insurance, annual home leave, shipping allowance, a retirement contribution, a professional development allowance, and tuition benefits for K-12 school age dependents. Candidates wishing to learn more about PSI should visit our website.
Suitably qualified candidates should send an application, no later than August 12, 2019. The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Candidates should note that, in the event that an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, PSI reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline mentioned above and to bring the search to a close. For this reason, interested candidates are encouraged to apply at the earliest possible time. Candidates should email the information requested below as a single document in PDF format to: PSI's School Director, Rachel Caldwell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The subject line should read Secondary School Principal Application and the applicant's name.
The application should include:
● Cover letter of application explaining why you are the ideal candidate
● A current resumé/CV (generally not more than two-pages) with a recent photograph
● Educational philosophy
● Contact details for at least three referees, one of whom must be the Director / Superintendent of your current school - the list should include names, positions, current email addresses
Long-listed candidates will be contacted for initial Skype interviews in late August. Finalists will be contacted and invited for a campus visit and interviews in Kyiv in late September / early October 2019. The school aims to make an appointment by the end of October 2019.
The initial contract has a duration of three years.